Sunday, July 25, 2010

Is the Way We Read Changing?



The above video gives a quick run-down and comparison of many of today's E-Readers. Personally, I believe the Ipad is the best, although as stated towards the end, it is more than double the price of the others. As for the versatility, the amount of apps and OTHER cool features, it is worth it.

My point is to not rate one over the other, rather, investigate the way in which we read altogether. For me, there is something tactile about reading. My students always make fun of me, all of my books are filled with highlighted sections, footnotes, scribbles in the margins. For me, reading is a very interactive process. With the E Readers, I just do not feel the same personal connection. Yes you can find ways to edit and highlight the texts and in some cases even make notes for yourself later, it just isn't the same. Of course, unlike my students, I was not born into this technological world. There will come a day soon, when schools will figure out the greener, more economical way of doing business. Rather than spend thousands of dollars every few years upgrading classroom textbooks, they will simply provide an E Reader and download whatever they need. The options are endless. No more hunched back children laboring down the bus aisle from the weight of their backpacks. They can carry every subject, their notebooks, their comic books, and literature books all on a E Reader. While you can't argue with the convenience, environmental benefits, and eventual financial savings, what about the way in which we read? The way in which our brain's process the information?

This will be an interesting trend to watch. Stay tuned dear readers, I have just begun an RSS search for any scholarly peer reviewed articles on the subject. I will keep you posted. For now, my feel is that E Readers will grow in use and popularity. The toll and effect on the eyes and the brain... All I know is, I love spending time in book stores. There is something aesthetically pleasing about casting your eyes on a well stocked book shelf, the colors of the covers, the varying print, being able to physically take one down and peruse. Are we to loose such colloquialisms as "turn the page", you know what they say about books and covers. Like the television, "don't touch that dial", no problem, they no longer exist.

Still want to learn more, here is a quick link to browse the top ten ereaders for the christmas season.

2 comments:

  1. I can turn pages on my iphone, but it can crash and I have not seen books or newspapers crash yet. Reliability and accessibility and huge topics in this discussion. If the technology is not reliable or accessible, people will not use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I've been trying to decide which ereader to buy. This in-depth analysis certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete